Subject Matter Expert Exchange (SMEE)

I was thrilled to be invited to participate in 2 SMEE's!  They are simply educational classes given on subjects requested by the organizations we visit.  I was able to visit two organizations here in Dili that had requested some breastfeeding education.

Teaching my breastfeeding class with Daniel, my translator.
First, we spent a day at the Hiam Health Clinic.  They receive patients once they have been discharged from the local hospital for severe malnutrition.  The child and the parents come and stay at the clinic until the child is well enough to go home.  While there, they are taught nutrition and balanced diet, child development, gardening and cooking.

Ima next to a papaya tree
Liz working with a 2 year old boy recovering from severe malnutrition
Our SMEE group taught classes to the employees on nutrition, food and water safety,  and breastfeeding.  While that was occuring, our LDS Charities Occupational Therapist, Elizabeth, worked with the mothers and babies, teaching them how to play with the children to encourage  muscle and bone strength.

They were an amazing group, doing amazing work!  They fed us lunch and afterward, desserts.  YUM!

Some of the girls in my breastfeeding class
The second day, we visited Cafe Aroma, run by a Brazilian NGO called Casa Vida.  They take in girls between 3 and 18 who are victims of abuse.  Many of the young girls are mothers due to sexual abuse.  At Cafe Aroma, they have a safe place to live while they receive an education, good nutrition, counseling, job training and placement as well as child care assistance.

I was impressed to find these young girls healthy and happy with babies who are thriving!  Truly, there is good work being done by wonderful people all over the world!

Commodore Franchetti and me with a sweet baby

Both of my breastfeeding classes went really well.  They listened and asked some really good questions.  The young girls, especially, soaked up the information like sponges.  After my 1 hour class went for 2 hours, I had to cut off the questions to allow time for our other speakers!  It was fantastic!

We were also served lunch and the Mercy's Commodore Franchetti came to join us for lunch.  Then, I traded my camera for a baby.... temporarily!.... and ended up with some great pictures!  These two days were, by far, the best of this whole mission for me!

Comments

  1. Wow! Your specialized skills are really being used. Certainly as Susan said, she doesn't choose the people... Sounds like you are 'flying' lady, I'm so happy for you and excited, want to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Evolution in Darwin

More Favorite Pictures...

July 5, 2010 First Patients