Evolution in Darwin


A View from the pier in Darwin.  The Mercy is on the left.

Before beginning this great adventure called Pacific Partnership, I did not realize many things.  One of them being how it feels to live on a ship for weeks at a time.  It is interesting, fun and wonderful in many ways, however, it can also make you stir crazy!  I had not realized that by the time we arrived in Darwin, Australia, I would be as anxious as I was for some free time, called Liberty.  We had 3 full days in Darwin and I tried to use every minute to the fullest!
Casuarena Beach

It's a beautiful city with friendly people and lots of tourism.  Since we have over 1000 people on the Mercy, it was fun for me to be in this strange city, yet see people I knew everywhere I went!  I ate local food recommended to me by my son, Nathan, who served a 2 year mission in The Land Down Under.  One of his suggestions was to try the Flake fish and chips.  We discovered a fantastic restaurant on the wharf, just a short walk from the Mercy.  We enjoyed a beautiful sunset and a live band while we ate a fantastic meal!  It wasn't until we had left Darwin that Nathan told me that Flake was shark.  I had a hard time not thinking he was pulling my leg so I asked an Aussie soldier I work with what Flake is.  He replied, in his lovely Aussie accent, "Why it's shark, Maam."  Go figure!  All I can say is "YUM!"

On my first day in Darwin, I hung out with some friends who were leaving to go home.  We visited the Territory Wildlife Park and had a great time.  It was spacious and did not have too many visitors.  Walking through the park felt like walking in the Outback!  I will miss associating with these amazing friends.

I was not looking forward to saying goodbye to all my new friends who were leaving the Mercy to head home.  I was comfortable with them and wanted to continue to get to know them better.  I was a bit anxious about having to begin new friendships with a new group of people... always a scary thing for me...
Eating shark on the wharf, enjoying the sunset behind my home away from home.

Me with the Mercy in the background.
Well, I should not have worried.  The new LDSC group consists of people just as friendly and wonderful as the first.  I have realized that being one of the "old" experienced staff on board brings with it a certain confidence.  I have loved helping others find their way and avoid some pitfalls that I fell into in my first week on board.  Doing so has helped me overcome my fears and reach out and make new friends.  I'm realizing that this entire trip is forcing me to break away from my familiar comfort zone, stretch my limits and grow into a stronger, more confident person.  I am also learning important skills and lessons from those I've come to know.  Their experience and wisdom is helping me overcome obstacles and gain faith.

As we leave Darwin and head to Timor Leste, I feel changed.  Healing has begun!

Comments

  1. Love you! Take care and remember to grasp every minute of this experience. Don't hold back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Billie, So glad to hear you are enjoying new friendships. We feel honored that we were privileged to get to know you, to work and enjoy liberty in Darwin together. We are enjoying our time at home, but our thoughts are still with all of you on the Mercy and we'll continue to pray for your safety and strength in doing good. Thanks for blogging and expressing some of the same feelings and experiences we had too. Enjoy - Mike and Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. L7LeSueur@gmail.comAugust 16, 2010 at 9:37 AM

    Billie,
    Hope you're enjoying Timor Leste. I just wrote a summary of our Indonesia trip and posted it on my blog. I used a lot of your postings because you have done such a great job of recording some of the same feelings and experiences I had. I hope you don't mind. We're still thinking and talking about our experiences. We've been asked to give a report to our ward Aug. 22.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,
    I don't mind at all! Let me know the address for your blog, I'd love to see it! Good luck with your "return and report" on the 22nd!
    Billie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you Billie. So glad you are healing and experiencing many new things. Looking forward to hearing more of your experiences. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our blog is L7Lesueur.blogspot.com
    Mike and Susan LeSueur

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Favorite Pictures...

July 5, 2010 First Patients