Ponderings on a Good Day

The Mercy, taken from a bird's eye view at the Christus Statue in Dili
Today was a much needed day of R&R.  The powers that be aboard the Mercy declared it a "Holiday Schedule."  This meant we did not have to muster at our normal time or be awakened by reveille at 6 am.  In our department, we even had permission to "phone muster."  This meant instead of reporting to work in person, we could call from the phone in berthing and say, "I'm here."  This way, the commander can send the muster report to account for all of us still being here (as in, nobody fell overboard) without us having to get dressed and go upstairs.

It was very, very dark when I woke up to the sound of really loud "ship noises."  I have no idea what it was, but it sounded like water and clanking and drilling.  Hmmm....  Anyway, I looked at the clock I keep in bed with me, and it was 8 am!  Wow!  I slept 2 hours past the normal 6 am!  Yippee!  And, although the noise did not stop, I somehow fell asleep again and woke up at 9:30!  I then rolled out of bed, padded to the lounge in my PJs and called Jon and talked for over a half hour!  Then, I got back in my rack and finished a book I was reading and ate the apple I snuck out of the galley.  By the time I got dressed, it was 11:30 am.  You have no idea what a magnificent treat this was!

 From noon to 4 pm, they held a Steel Beach Picnic on the flight deck.  We are surrounded by water, but our "beach" is made of steel, thus the name.  They set up food tents where they served hamburgers, hot dogs, steak, brats and even roast pig!  They had salads, baked beans and all the fixin's.  Soda and juice to drink and cookies for dessert.

They had games of basketball, bean bag toss and hillbilly golf going.  I'm not sure how anyone played without passing out.... it was SO incredibly hot up there!  We got to wear our "civies" so I had capri's and sandals on.  Well, the sun was beating down so hard that my sandals got hot and started burning my toes!  Needless to say, I ate quickly and headed to the back of the ship where there is some shade.
A brat and a Dew on the open sea!  Can't beat it!

Later in the afternoon, we all went back up to eat a bit more as there would be no dinner as usual today.  By then, the sun was heading down creating some shade behind the helo hangar... much better!  Then, we watched as a storm rolled in from the horizon and dumped some rain on us.  It brought with it cooler air and felt wonderfully refreshing!

This evening, our LDS Charities group held our own little talent show after devotional.  It was so much fun!  I am continually amazed at the people I've been working with for a month or more on this ship!  They each have so many layers and hidden facets that continually amaze me.  We all come from very different places and backgrounds with different job skills.  We are different ages, nationalities and different marital status.  Yet, we are all here for the same purpose.  The more I learn about each of them, the more amazed at who I am so priveledged to work with.  When I hear about the trials they have faced and overcome, I see and understand why they are the wonderful people they are.  It gives me courage and hope that I too can become amazing and strong.... if I choose, because of my own sore trials.
Me and Delores on the flight deck

I'm learning so much, on this adventure, about how Heavenly Father works.  I'm also in awe at the majesty and beauty He has created in and out of this world!

Comments

  1. Thanks for keeping us all posted on life on the Mercy. I have been home about 3 weeks and am having some Mercy withdrawals now and am so glad to read about your Timor experiences. It helps to read about them. Have fun in Hawaii! Come see me in Georgia anytime.
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Evolution in Darwin

More Favorite Pictures...